Russ, Shalae, & Kids

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Oregon vacation


Russ, Abby, and I took a trip to Oregon in July. It was a perfect getaway! As we were getting close to landing in Portland, the scenery outside the airplane window was SO pretty! John said we were looking at Mount St. Helens when he saw the picture. We met the Westovers for lunch and Abby got to meet her cousins for the first time!

For our first few days of the trip, we stayed on the coast, so we took the scenic route to get there from Portland. We drove through the Tillamook Forest which was beautiful! (These pictures were at a creek we stopped at along the way.)



We toured the Tillamook Factory and sampled lots of cheese and ice cream! 


Even Abby tried the ice cream. I think she liked it, judging by the smile on her face and the smacking of her lips!



We made it to the coast eventually and I couldn't believe how pretty it was! I had never seen pine trees line the ocean before. Also, I was amazed by the fact that it didn't start getting dark outside until about 9:15pm.

The next day, the Westovers met us near the coast and we did some outlet shopping, lunch, exploring, and playing on the beach! (George was so sweet with Abby!)

 




(This was a squirrel roaming around near the "devil's punchbowl".)

(View of the "devil's punchbowl" from the top)



Russ and some of the Westovers starting their hike over the rocks and through the water to the punchbowl.

Abby was a dream baby for the first few days of the trip.


Noah stayed home with the Gibbons and the Cummards. He missed Abby a lot, so we face-timed one night. Abby loved to hear Noah's voice and see his face. He loved to see her too!

Sweet little "cuddles"


My pictures are a little bit out of order. Back to our trip to the "devil's punchbowl"...






These are views of the punchbowl from inside it...



I was freezing cold but Christy and Russ talked me into making my way inside the punchbowl. I got wet up to my knees and the water was freezing... but was glad I did it. It was so pretty!



We saw a lot of deer on our trip - this one happened to be roaming around right outside our hotel.

For the last few days of our trip we stayed with the Westovers in Sherwood, Oregon. They were so welcoming and great hosts. They had a little pack-and-play all set up for Abby... here she is in what Russ calls her "juicy couture" outfit! (haha it's just Carters)

Russ's dreams came true when we traveled one day up to Washougal, Washington for the motocross race! It was fun to watch the races live. I took some good pictures for Noah who was wishing he could have been there.





(Below: Ryan Villapoto) in the green right as he was about to cross the finish line in 2nd place.)




We were sad to say goodbye to Oregon when our trip came to an end.  We experienced the most perfect weather while we were there. We loved our stay at the Westover home and were shocked by the pretty flowers that grew in their neighborhood. One night we even when picking blackberries (which were delicious) right around the corner from their house!

Abby didn't finish off her vacation very well. She cried a lot and I think she just wanted to be back home in her normal routine. She cried for more than half of the plane ride home and when she finally fell asleep, I was so exhausted that I laid her on the snack tray so I could try to sleep also!

We got back home and crashed! We were all so exhausted. I think Abby was happy to be back in her own little bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment