Russ, Shalae, & Kids

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

We're having a baby!!

Russ and I attempted IVF (in vitro fertilization) this past summer. I will leave out all of the little details of this process since I'm doing that on a different baby blog.

August 14th was the date of the egg retrieval and August 19th was the day of the transfer. The picture below was a picture taken at the moment the embryo was transferred from the lab to inside of me! Crazy! (There is a little white line towards the left side of the picture where it was placed.)
 

August 28th was the day we found out from the doctor that the process worked. YAY!! Russ and I found out together at the same time while on the phone with the doctor's office. I was shocked & SO excited since I had talked myself out of getting my hopes up, and figured the test would be negative. We kept it a secret for a week before telling anyone.

 The doctor had done a blood test to get the results but a few weeks later I did a home pregnancy test just for the fun of it. So exciting to see 2 lines!

This was the moment we told the kids

At 6.5 weeks we had our last appointment with the fertility doctor before being turned over to my regular OB/GYN. We got to see the cute little heartbeat flickering on the screen. That's when it became a little more real and also when I started getting sick.

At 8 weeks I had a little scare and was worried I was going to miscarry. Dr. Huish's office did an ultrasound and the baby was measuring exactly as it should and the heart was beating as it should.

Around 12 weeks I did the first-trimester screening and got some really good pictures of the baby. The ultrasound tech thought she knew what the baby was too... but I will still call the baby him/her because I want to be more sure. These pictures are a little freaky but still so interesting to look at! The baby was only the size of a lemon at this point.


I also got to take home a DVD of the ultrasound and have watched it a few times. It's so fun to see the baby move around!


 Something I didn't do with Noah and wished I would have... the pregnancy progression pictures! Here I am at 1) a few days before the egg retrieval; 2) 4 weeks; 3) 8 weeks; and 4) 12 weeks

We are SO excited for May to get here. Right now I'm just counting down the days until I feel better on a consistent basis, and then after that I will be fine for time to slow down a little. I'm more than 1/3 of the way there and that's a little bit scary. I have so many things I want to get done before the baby gets here, so I can focus on the baby and nothing else when that time comes! This baby is such a miracle to me - I am so thankful to be pregnant despite my complaining about being sick!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Shalae!!! So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a miracle what they can do now? And speaking of technology....amazing shots of such a tiny little human inside of you. I'm SO happy for you Shalae!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalae! I read all of your updated blog posts. You have been busy with baptisms and babygrowing! I can't wait to find out what you're having and to read your baby blog. What a great blessing the IVF worked! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete